Welcome to my Brain. Please watch your step.

Saturday, March 05, 2005

Internet Security - AND YOU

Today was my first day at Best Buy. It was pretty cool. One thing I noticed was I ended up numerous people the same thing. So I just decided to tell them my Blog address and I would post the information. Maybe I"ll just start posting technical things that I come across working at Best Buy. First off, you want to make your computer secure. No Pop-ups, No Spam, No Hackers. More importantly you want to do it cheap. How about Free is as Cheap as it gets. So I'm going to tell you how to secure your computer and do it FREE. You may ask, but Joe - how does it compare to the products you buy? Well, these programs actually work Better! So I'll give it to you straight here, if you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me. I'm hand feeding you now though just click the links and download and install and you're ready to go.

First you need virus protection. Uninstall your current virus protection and install Grisoft's AVG Anti-Virus. Just so you know, AVG is only free for home use. If you're a business, church, or other non-profit organization please read before downloading. Otherwise, they will never know why or who is downloading it. This is just for your conscience, but if you're a home user go ahead and download.

Second you need a better browser. STOP USING INTERNET EXPLORER! It's insecure and it's wide open to spyware and viruses. Instead download Firefox and get into the habit of using this, it's secure, doesn't allow pop-ups, and if you check my last post you can get some sweet themes. Give it a chance you'll fall in love. Firefox is always updating and it's open source so if a problem arises there isn't just a staff of people in a company working on it, the whole world bans together to solve the situation in hours. It's pretty cool.

Third you need a better mail client. The same people that made Firefox made a program called Thunderbird. This is a much, much better alternative than Eudora or Outlook. It's really nifty. You can do RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds and subscribe to my blog if you like. You can do the research on that or look through my blog. I wrote an article about that last month sometime.

Fourth you need some type of Spyware remover. Get rid of the spyware that's already on your computer with the following programs. Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and lastly for advanced users Bazooka.

And Lastly, you need to keep everything under close watch with WinPatrol. Scotty the watch dog will patrol your computer for any malicious content or changes in preferences and file extensions. Man's best friend he is.

Well, I have a long drive ahead of me and I'm going to call my girlfriend. If you have any questions you can find my e-mail address in the view my profile at the top left by my picture. Don't be shy, and if you are you can just post a comment and I'll answer when I get the chance. I won't have internet access 'till Monday so hang tight.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have firefox. my name is ansel

3/06/2005 11:32:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free page hit counter