Welcome to my Brain. Please watch your step.

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Terminated

So anyways, I go to work on Tuesday to find out that, "Through much 'discussion' and after close 'investigation' that I was to be terminated effective immediately." If you're wondering where I was working it was at Countrywide Home Loans as a debt collector, or as they would call us "Loan Counselors." Mainly we harassed people for not making there mortgage payments on the first of every month. I hated the job, it paid well but it wasn't worth calling and bothering people at 9 o'clock at night. So they demanded that I hand over my badge. I asked why they were firing me and they told me because of "Inappropriate conduct." Then I asked what was it that I was doing that was so "inappropriate." They told me that I was seen throwing a piece of paper at someone last week.

Yes, you read right. Throwing a piece of paper! - PAPER. If you can imagine, my face contortioned into a grimace of confusion, I quickly denied and told them that I didn't recall ever throwing a piece of paper at someone last week. I asked on what day last week and they couldn't tell me. I asked at whom and they couldn't tell me. All they said was that someone in management saw me throwing a piece of paper at someone else last week. So I thought to myself, "I'm being fired for throwing a piece of paper on an undetermined day at an undetermined person. This is ridiculous!" Yes folks, it was. However Christine Hall (the person doing the terminating) didn't expect me to say what I was thinking. So I told her, "I'm being fired for throwing a piece of paper on an undetermined day at an undetermined person?" Then I said, "Where is my written notification and my 30 day probation period that is supposed to take place before an involuntary termination." Probably stunned by my quick touché, or my knowledge about company policies, she quickly became very defensive sliding an envelope towards me on her polished table top she snarled, "Here's you're written notice." Feeling as if fighting a battle that I could not win I took off my badge and handed over to a gentleman who was also present in the meeting. He told me that he would accompany me to my desk to gather my things.

After thinking long and hard about why I probably was really fired a couple things popped up in my mind that could be why I was truly fired. One, that I openly professed that part-time countrywide employees should create a union amongst ourselves to protect us from having our hours cut again. Or secondly, that I opened up a window by asking why employees haven't been receiving their retroactive pay when they got their monthly raises for the past 4 months. But for whatever the reason I know that there was a purpose for my termination. I spoke to my father who is an attorney who told me that I could sue and probably win but shouldn't waste my time and just find another job and finish school. I took that advice and I'm just letting it go.

So here lies my quest to search out employment once again....but countrywide can pay me through unemployment until I find another job. Hehehe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
free page hit counter